Buying a secondhand DSLR?

Home Forums School of Photography Forum Buying a secondhand DSLR?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of lunar lunar 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tom Northrop
    Participant

Is it safe to buy a secondhand DSLR from online sites such as ebay, craiglist? If so, what are the measures to be taken before signing off the deal

Rich
    Participant

I would not take a chance of buying an used cam from a complete stranger.

John
    Participant

I usually buy my lenses used, since there’s no other way I can get my hands on high end lenses. I’ve only had a problem once, where the guy selling “forgot” to mention that the lens was scratched, but I returned the product and got my money back, minus 10 bucks for the return shipping. Anyway, the moral of the story is that it’s safe to buy online used, just make sure you have detailed pictures from every angle. Also, try only ordering off eBay, because they have great buyer protection.

biggles
    Participant

If the sellers reputation on the site is really good then the chances are it should be fine. Make sure to inquire about how long the person has had it and what exact condition it’s in. I wouldn’t buy anything too expensive 2nd hand stuff, just in case.

mikolaj
    Participant

I’ve got a friend who bought his first ever entry level DSLR second hand off of eBay last year and it’s been fine so far. No bugs or anything. I think like biggles said, if you look at the sellers reputation and user feedback before buying and make a logical decision, you should be fine. Be sure to check the refund policy too.

Tom Northrop
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I am on the verge of finalizing on the buyer, who has a good reputation and pictures of cam speaks for itself.

lunar
    Participant

Good for you. You can find some bargains online for camera’s and equipment, my friend got hers off of eBay 25% cheaper than the RRP. Does the buyer have a refund clause?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.