How to handle exposure?

Home Forums School of Photography Forum How to handle exposure?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Sylvia Sylvia 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Northrop
    Participant

I have always base things on my luck and some do come out well, and others real bad. I am pretty new to shooting outside, just for fun. and I really want to learn to shoot shots correctly. I am however lacking in how to properly set my exposure levels. iso and aperture are new to me. is there an easy way to understand these two?

Jill Spencer
    Participant

You can think of aperture as being similar to the iris within your eye. It controls the amount of light that comes into the camera reaching the film or photosensitive chip. Different lenses support different apertures, some being able to open up much more than others. You’ve probably seen “f” numbers on lenses. These tell you the size of the diameter of the aperture in terms of the focal length, e.g. f/4 is an aperture of diameter 1/4 of the size of the focal length. Another thing to bear in mind is that it is actually the area of the aperture, rather than than its diameter that controls the amount of light. What this means in practice is that f/2 actually lets in 4 times as much light as f/2. Also, note that brightness reduces as the focal length increases. This is because the intensity of the light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance it travels. So, for two lenses that have the same aperture size, the lens with the shorter focal length will be brighter.
    ISO is a measurement of light sensitivity for the film or photosensitive chip in your camera.
    If you have a bright lens then you can work with lower ISO settings and you’re not so dependent upon the sensitivity of your camera/film.

Tom Northrop
    Participant

@Jill Spencer – Great reply and post!

Rich
    Participant

I think Jill said it all…….great explanation.

NPN
    Participant

Great explanation by Jill…
    I would also suggest anyone to experiment with multiple shots by changing f stops (keeping the camera in Aperture Mode) in a constant light environment. Then we can see how the shutter speed changes with the change in f stops. But bear in mind to keep your ISO constant. Later repeat the same with chaning the ISO and see how you are getting the pictures.
    It may be a bit boring/redundant activity, but one can learn the Exposure stuff by themselves practically …

After that I hope we will come to know more clearly on how exposure works …
    This is just a suggestion as I did myself to better understand the exposure stuff … :) Practice makes a man perfect …

Sylvia
    Participant

Photography also involves a lot of patience……..not a bad idea by NPN….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.