Searching for Critic

Home Forums School of Photography Forum Searching for Critic

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Am Am 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nic
    Participant

I’m sampling some photos from various series and works in order to reel in any feedback or constructive criticism. Any sort of constructive response would be VERY much so appreciated, after all I’m here to progress, just please refrain from coming off as rude, snobby, etc. I’m an AMATEUR and I’m SELF-TAUGHT, so please keep that in mind. Any usage of the following images without my permission would hurt my feelings greatly, so please don’t do that either. I work hard at what I do, even if I only produce photos of mediocre caliber.

First photo:
    This photo is part of my series “Dangers of Leather Jackets and Cigarettes.” I intentionally wanted to make the photo a bit dark with just a smidgen of light casting down from the sun in order to give the girl in the photo more of an “edgy” and/or “interesting” look of sorts. I was going for that Joan Jett, Sid Vicious, Ramones, 80′s biker/rocker-grunge appeal with a touch of melancholy from The Smiths.

Second photo:
    This photo is part of my series “Autumn.” My intention was to give a ghostly or dreamy effect so I played along with the girl’s appearance to give her a mother nature/Semara from the Ring meets hippie chick look, and during post processing I wanted to pastel and mattify the photo to go even further with the ethereal/dreamy/ghostly glow of an appearance that I mentioned. She is the ghost of Autumn’s past, she feels neither joy nor sorrow, does she even truly exist or is she just a washed out, unseen speckle of a fantasy like Jack Frost?

Third photo:
    Another photo from my “Autumn” series. In this photo I was trying to play around with hands and body language in order to portray fragility and an overall sombre appeal of sorts. I wanted to portray the girl as if she were broken and hurt and hiding herself from onlookers, even herself. She feels defeated and faceless and tainted and numb.

Fourth photo:
    This one is from my series “Neverland.” I was inspired by Pandora’s box. I’m sure we all know the story, and I wanted to make sure that I had innocence or a child opening the box of chaos. There is a bit of shadow play on the girl’s face. Perhaps she is already aware of what she is releasing, there is even a darkness in the heart of an innocent or maybe she is just an innocent little girl who got curious and the shadows are foreshadowing what is yet to come.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attched files.
    Am
    Participant

I am also a amateur as well, but in my opinion I really like the first one for its’ color, lighting and creativeness. Second is nice, third seems uncomfortable, too stiff and last one is a little dark.

Nic
    Participant

Thank you for your honest opinion, it’s very much so appreciated.

To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the first one for the simple fact that
    I’m not fully comfortable using photoshop, and there are a lot of ways
    that it could have been better, ya know?

As for the third one, were you referring to the ghostly looking one? I figured that
    since I was playing around with death, the after life, and ghosts, etc, she should be stiff.
    Does that change your opinion of it now or do you still stand by what you’ve already stated?
    What would you have done differently?
    I’m a little worried that I went too much on the pastel side though.

And in regards to the last one, I’ll try to increase the brightness. :)

Am
    Participant

I think you be better critic then me I just starting out. I was in the army before I choose to get into this field.

Nic
    Participant

Really? Haha — I doubt it, but thank you. Do you have a website/portfolio that you wouldn’t mind letting me view?
    I’m always interested in seeing the work of others. :)

Am
    Participant

I don’t have a web site I have face book I known as amber sprouse most pictures I took though out the years.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.